Cotton Henry (D.C.L.)
T93 Henry Cotton (divine)
He was a native of Buckinghamshire. Beginning in 1803, he spent four years at Westminster School and then in 1807 he entered Christ Church, Oxford. He obtained a B.A. in classics in 1811 and a M.A. in 1813. He would later dedicate his work on Bible editions to the memory of Cyril Jackson, dean of Christ Church.
He was sub-librarian of the Bodleian Library from 1814 to 1822. In 1820 he received a D.C.L. from Oxford.
His father-in-law Richard Laurence was appointed Archbishop of Cashel, Ireland in 1822, so in 1823 Henry Cotton moved there to serve as his domestic chaplain. The following year Henry became archdeacon of Cashel. In 1832 he became treasurer of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin; in 1834 he became dean of Lismore Cathedral.
His eyesight began failing, causing him to retire from active duties of the ministry, and he gave up the deanery of Lismore in 1849. In 1872 he became almost totally blind. He died at his residence in Lismore 3 December 1879, and was buried in the graveyard of Lismore Cathedral.