Chapters. 100, 102-105 [C-CV.]
1. Attentively consider heaven, all ye progeny of heaven, and all ye works of the Most High; fear him, nor conduct yourselves criminally before him.
2. If He shut up the windows of heaven, restraining the rain and dew, that it may not descend upon earth on your account, what will you do?
3. And if He send his wrath upon you, and upon all your deeds, you are not they who can supplicate him; you who utterfn276 for you utter. against his righteousness, language proud and powerful.fn277 great and powerful things. To you there shall be no peace.
4. Do you not see the commandersfn278 kings. of ships, how their vessels are tossed about by the waves, torn to pieces by the winds, and exposed to the greatest peril?
5. That they therefore fear, because their whole property is embarked with them on the ocean; and}
that they forbode evilfn279 think not good. in their hearts, because it may swallow them up, and they may perish in it?
6. Is not the whole sea, all its waters, and all its commotion, the work of him, the Most High; of him who has sealed up all its exertions, and girded it on every side with sand?
7. Is it not at his rebuke dried up, and alarmed; while all its fish with everything contained in it die? And will not you, ye sinners, who are on earth, fear him? Is not He the maker of heaven and earth, and of all things which are in them?
8. And who has given erudition and wisdom to all that move progressive upon the earth, and over the sea?
9. Are not the commanders of ships terrified at the ocean? And shall not sinners be terrified at the Most High?
Chapter. CII.fn280 There is no chap. ci. in the MSS.
1. In those days, when He shall cast the calamity of fire upon you, whither will you fly, and where will you be safe?
2. And when He sends forth his word against you, are you not spared, and terrified?
3. All the luminaries are agitated with great
fear; and all the earth is spared, while it trembles, and suffers anxiety.
4. All the angels fulfil the commands received by them, and are desirous of being concealed from the presence of the great Glory; while the children of the earth are alarmed and troubled.
5. But you, ye sinners, are for ever accursed; to you there shall be no peace.
6. Fear not, ye souls of the righteous; but wait with patient hope for the day of your death in righteousness. Grieve not, because your souls descend in great trouble, with groaning, lamentation, and sorrow, to the receptacle of the dead. In your lifetime your bodies have not received a recompense in proportion to your goodness,fn281 your flesh has not found according to your goodness. but in the period of your existence have sinners existed; in the period of execration and of punishment.
7. And when you die, sinners say concerning you, “As we die, the righteous die. What profit have they in their works? Behold, like us, they expire in sorrow and in darkness. What advantage have they over us? Henceforward are we equal. What will be within their grasp, and what before their eyesfn282 What will they obtain, and what behold. for ever? For behold they are dead; and never will they againfn283 henceforward for ever. perceive the light.” I say unto you, ye sinners, You have been satiated
with meat and drink, with human plunder and rapine, with sin, with the acquisition of wealth and with the sight of good days. Have you not marked the righteous, how their end is in peace? for no oppression is found in them even to the day of their death. They perish, and are as if they were not, while their souls descend in trouble to the receptacle of the dead.
1. But now I swear to you, ye righteous, by the greatness of his splendour and his glory; by his illustrious kingdom and by his majesty, to you I swear, that I comprehend this mystery; that I have read the tablet of heaven, have seen the writing of the holy Ones, and have discovered what is written and impressed on it concerning you.
2. I have seen that all goodness, joy, and glory has been prepared for you, and been written down for the spirits of them who die eminently righteous and good.fn284 in righteousness and in much goodness. To you it shall be given in return for your troubles; and your portion of happiness shall far exceed the portion of the living.
3. The spirits of you who die in righteousness shall exist and rejoice. Their spirits shall exult;
and their remembrance shall be before the face of the mighty One from generation to generation. Nor shall they now fear disgrace.
4. Woe to you, sinners, when you die in your sins; and they, who are like you, say respecting you, Blessed are these sinners. They have lived out their whole period;fn285 They have seen all their days. and now they die in happinessfn286 in goodness. and in wealth. Distress and slaughter they knew notfn287 they saw not. while alive; in honour they die; nor ever in their lifetime did judgment overtake them.
5. But has it not been shown to them, that, when to the receptacle of the dead t heir souls shall be made to descend, their evil deeds shall become their greatest torment? Into darkness, into the snare, and into the flame, which shall burn to the great judgment, shall their spirits enter; and the great judgment shall take effect for ever and for ever.fn288 shall be for every generation, even for ever.
6. Woe to you; for to you there shall be no peace. Neither can you say to the righteous, and to the good who are alive, “In the days of our trouble have we been afflicted; every species of trouble have we seen, and many evil things have suffered.fn289 found.
7. Our spirits have been consumed, lessened, and diminished.
8. We have perished; nor has there been a possibility
of help for us in word or in deed: we have found none, but have been tormented and destroyed.
9. We have not expected to livefn290 to see life. day after day.
10. We hoped indeed to have been the head;
11. But we have become the tail. We have been afflicted, when we have exerted ourselves; but we have been devoured by sinnersfn291 food for sinners. and the ungodly; their yoke has been heavy upon us.
12. Those have exercised dominion over us who detest and who goad us; and to those who hate us have we humbled our neck; but they have shown no compassion towards us.
13. We have been desirous of escaping from them, that we might fly away and be at rest; but we have found no place to which we could fly, and be secure from them. We have sought an asylum with princes in our distress, and have cried out to those who were devouring us; but our cry has not been regarded, nor have they been disposed to hear our voice;
14. But rather to assist those who plunder and devour us; those who diminish us, and hide their oppression; who remove not their yoke from us, but devour, enervate, and slay us; who conceal our slaughter, nor remember that they have lifted up their hands against us.”
1. I swear to you, ye righteous, that in heaven the angels record your goodness before the glory of the mighty One.
2. Wait with patient hope; for formerly you have been disgraced with evil and with affliction; but now shall you shine like the luminaries of heaven. You shall be seen, and the gates of heaven shall be opened to you. Your cries have cried for judgment; and it has appeared to you: for an account of all your sufferings shall be required from the princes, and from every one who has assisted your plunderers.
3. Wait with patient hope; nor relinquish your confidence; for great joy shall be yours, like that of the angels in heaven. Conduct yourselves as you may, still you shall not be concealed in the day of the great judgment. You shall not be found like sinners; and eternal condemnation shall be far from you, so long as the world exists.fn292 during every generation of the world.
4. And now fear not, ye righteous, when you see sinners flourishing and prosperousfn293 strong and worthy. in their ways.
5. Be not associates with them; but keep yourselves at a distance from their oppression; be you associated with the host of heaven. You, ye sinners, say, All our transgressions shall not be taken
account of, and be recorded. But all your transgressions shall be recorded daily.
6. And be assured by me,fn294 I will show you. that light and darkness, day and night, behold all your transgressions. Be not impious in your thoughts; lie not; surrender not the word of uprightness; lie not against the word of the holy and the mighty One; glorify not your idols; for all your lying and all your impiety is not for righteousness, but for great crime.
7. Now will I point out a mystery: Many sinners shall turn and transgress against the word of uprightness.
8. They shall speak evil things; they shall utter falsehood; execute great undertakings;fn295 create a great creation. and compose books in their own words. But when they shall write all my words correctly in their own languages,
9. They shall neither change or diminish them; but shall write them all correctly; all which from the first I have uttered concerning them.
10. Another mystery also I point out. To the righteous and the wise shall be given books of joy, of integrity, and of great wisdom. To them shall books be given, in which they shall believe;
11. And in which they shall rejoice. And all the righteous shall be rewarded, who from these shall acquire the knowledge of every upright path.
Chapter. CIVb.fn296 This chapter occurs twice.
1. In those days, saith the Lord, they shall call to the children of the earth, and make them listen to their wisdom. Show them that you are their leaders;
2. And that renumeration shall take place over the whole earth; for I and my Son will for ever hold communion with them in the paths of uprightness, while they are still alive.fn297 we will for ever mix with them in the paths of uprightness in their lives. Peace shall be yours. Rejoice, children of integrity, in the truth.
1. After a time,fn298 after days. my son Mathusala took a wife for his son Lamech.
2. She became pregnant by him, and brought forth a child, the flesh of which was as white as snow, and red as a rose; the hair of whose head was white like wool, and long; and whose eyes were beautiful. When he opened them, he illuminated all the house, like the sun; the whole house abounded with light.
3. And when he was taken from the hand of the midwife, opening also his mouth, he spoke to the
[paragraph continues]Lord of righteousness. Then Lamech his father was afraid of him; and flying away came to his own father Mathusala, and said, I have begotten a son, unlike to other children.fn299 a changed son. He is not human; but, resembling the offspring of the angels of heaven, is of a different nature from ours, being altogether unlike to us.
4. His eyes are bright as the rays of the sun; his countenance glorious, and he looks not as if he belonged to me, but to the angels.
5. I am afraid, lest something miraculous should take place on earth in his days.
6. And now, my father, let me entreat and request you to go to our progenitor Enoch, and to learn from him the truth; for his residence is with the angels.
7. When Mathusala heard the words of his son, he came to me at the extremities of the earth; for he had been informed that I was there: and he cried out.
8. I heard his voice, and went to him saying, Behold, I am here, my son; since thou art come to me.
9. He answered and said, On account of a great event have I come to thee; and on account of a sight difficult to be comprehended have I approached thee.
10. And now, my father, hear me; for to my son Lamech a child has been born, who resembles not him; and whose nature is not like the nature of man. His colour is whiter than snow; he is redder than the rose; the hair of his head is whiter than white wool; his eyes are like the rays of the sun; and when he opened them he illuminated the whole house.
11. When also he was taken from the hand of the midwife, he opened his mouth, and blessed the Lord of heaven.
12. His father Lamech feared, and fled to me, believing not that the child belonged to him, but that he resembled the angels of heaven. And behold I am come to thee, that thou mightest point out to me the truth.
Then I, Enoch, answered and said, The Lord will effect a new thing upon the earth. This have
I explained, and seen in a vision. I have shown thee that in the generations of Jared my father, those who were from heaven disregarded the word of the Lord. Behold they committed crimes; laid aside their class, and intermingled with women. With them also they transgressed; married with them, and begot children.
14. A great destruction therefore shall come upon all the earth; a deluge, a great destruction, shall take place in one year.
15. This child which is born to you shall survive on the earth, and his three sons shall be saved with him. When all mankind who are on earth shall die, he shall be safe.
16. And his posterity shall beget on the earth giants, not spiritual, but carnal. Upon the earth shall a great punishment be inflicted, and it shall be washed from all corruption. Now therefore inform thy son Lamech, that he who is born is his child in truth; and he shall call his name Noah, for he shall be to you a survivor. He and his children shall be saved from the corruption which shall take place in the world; from all the sin and from all the iniquity which shall be consummated on earth in his days. Afterwards shall greater impiety take place than that which had been before consummated on the earth; for I am acquainted with holy mysteries, which the Lord himself has discovered and explained to me; and which I have read in the tablets of heaven.
17. In them I saw it written, that generation after generation shall transgress, until a righteous race shall arise; until transgression and crime perish from off the earth; until all goodness come upon it.
18. And now, my son, go tell thy son Lamech,
19. That the child which is born is his child in truth; and that there is no deception.
20. When Mathusala heard the word of his father
[paragraph continues]Enoch, who had shown hint every secret thing, he returned with understanding,fn300 seeing. and called the name of that child Noah; because he was to console the earth on account of all its destruction.
21. Another book, which Enoch wrote for his son Mathusala, and for those who should come after him, and preserve their purity of conductfn301 their state of life. in the latter days. You, who have laboured, shall wait in those days, until the evil doers be consumed, and the power of the guilty be annihilated. Wait, until sin pass away; for their names shall be blotted out of the holy books; their seed shall be destroyed, and their spirits slain. They shall cry out and lament in the invisible waste, and in the bottomless fire shall they burn.fn302 in the fire shall they burn, where there is no earth. There I perceived, as it were, a cloud which could not be seen through; for from the depth of it I was unable to look upwards. I beheld also a flame of fire blazing brightly, and, as it were, glittering mountains whirled around, and agitated from side to side.
22. Then I inquired of one of the holy angels who was with me, and said, What is this splendid object? For it is not heaven, but a flame of fire alone which blazes; and in it there is the clamour of exclamation, of woe, and of great suffering.
23. He said, There, into that place which thou
beholdest, shall be thrust the spirits of sinners and blasphemers; of those who shall do evil, and who shall pervert all which God has spoken by the mouth of the prophets; all which they ought to do.
For respecting these things there shall be writings and impressions above in heaven, that the angels may read them and know what shall happen both to sinners and to the spirits of the humble; to those who have suffered in their bodies, but have been rewarded by God; who have been injuriously treated by wicked men; who have loved God; who have been attached neither to gold nor silver, nor to any good thing in the world, but have given their bodies to torment;
24. To those who from the period of their birthfn303 from the time they were. have not been covetous of earthly riches; but have regarded themselves as a breath passing away.
25. Such has been their conduct;fn304 And this have they kept. and much has the Lord tried them; and their spirits have been found pure, that they might bless his name. All their blessings have I related in a book; and He has rewarded them; for they have been found to love heaven with an everlasting aspiration. God has said, While they have been trodden down by wicked men, they have heard from them revilings and blasphemies; and have been ignominiously treated, while they were blessing me. And now will
[paragraph continues] I call the spirits of the good from the generation of light, and will change those who have been born in darkness; who have not in their bodies been recompensed with glory, as their faith may have merited.
26. I will bring them into the splendid light of those who love my holy name: and I will place each of them on a throne of glory, of glory peculiarly his own, and they shall be at rest during unnumbered periods. Righteous is the judgment of God;
27. For to the faithful shall he give faith in the habitations of uprightness.fn305 of upright ways. They shall see those, who having been born in darkness unto darkness shall be cast; while the righteous shall be at rest. Sinners shall cry out, beholding them, while they exist in splendour and proceed forwards to the days and periods prescribed to them.fn306 written down for them.
Here ends the vision of Enoch the prophet. May the benediction of his prayer, and the gift of his appointed period, be with his beloved! Amen.
Sources: Online: sacred-texts.com Paper: PRINTED BY WILLIAM CLOWES AND SONS, LIMITED, LONDON AND BECCLES.
|↑1||this chapter Number is absent|
|↑2||fn276 for you utter.|
|↑3||fn277 great and powerful things.|
|↑5||fn279 think not good.|
|↑6||fn280 There is no chap. ci. in the MSS.|
|↑7||fn281 your flesh has not found according to your goodness.|
|↑8||fn282 What will they obtain, and what behold.|
|↑9||fn283 henceforward for ever.|
|↑10||fn284 in righteousness and in much goodness.|
|↑11||fn285 They have seen all their days.|
|↑12||fn286 in goodness.|
|↑13||fn287 they saw not.|
|↑14||fn288 shall be for every generation, even for ever.|
|↑16||fn290 to see life.|
|↑17||fn291 food for sinners.|
|↑18||fn292 during every generation of the world.|
|↑19||fn293 strong and worthy.|
|↑20||fn294 I will show you.|
|↑21||fn295 create a great creation.|
|↑22||fn296 This chapter occurs twice.|
|↑23||fn297 we will for ever mix with them in the paths of uprightness in their lives.|
|↑24||fn298 after days.|
|↑25||fn299 a changed son.|
|↑27||fn301 their state of life.|
|↑28||fn302 in the fire shall they burn, where there is no earth.|
|↑29||fn303 from the time they were.|
|↑30||fn304 And this have they kept.|
|↑31||fn305 of upright ways.|
|↑32||fn306 written down for them.|