Ašakhté d’Enokh – Part Second
Enokh – Chapter 36
The Book of Admonition for the Children of Mar Enokh
1. “Observe the heavens, you children of heaven, and every work of the Most High, and fear Him and work no evil in His Presence.
2. If He closes the windows of heaven, and withholds the rain and the dew from descending on the earth on your account, what will you do then?
3. And if He sends His anger upon you because of your deeds, you cannot petition Him; for you spoke proud and insolent words against His righteousness, therefore you shall have no peace.
4. And do you not see the sailors of the sailing vessels, how their vessels are tossed back and forth by the waves, and are shaken by the winds, and are in great distress?
5. And therefore do they fear because all their possessions go upon the sea with them, and they have evil forebodings of heart that the sea will swallow them and they will perish in its depths.
6. Are not the entire sea and all its waters, and all its movements, the work of the Most High, and has He not set limits to its doings, and confined it throughout by the sand?
7. And at His reproof it is afraid and dries up, and all its fish die and all that is in it; but you sinners that are on the earth have not come to fear Him.
8. Has He not made the heavens and the earth, and all that is therein?
9. Who has given understanding and wisdom to everything that moves on the earth and in the sea.
10. Do not the sailors of the ships fear the sea? Yet sinners do not fear the Most High.
11. In those days when He has brought a grievous fire upon you, to what place will you flee, and where will you find deliverance?
12. And when He launches forth His Word against you, will you not become filled with a trembling fear?
13. And all the luminaries shall be filled with great fear, and all the earth shall be filled with fear and tremble and be alarmed.
14. And all the angels shall execute their commands and shall seek to hide themselves from the presence of the Great Glory, and the children of earth shall tremble and quake; and you sinners shall be cursed for ever, and you shall have no peace.
15. Do not fear, you souls of the righteous, and be hopeful you that have died in righteousness.
16. And do not grieve if your soul into the grave has descended in grief, and that in your life your body fared not according to your goodness, but wait for the day of the judgement of sinners and for the day of cursing and chastisement.
17. And yet when you die the sinners speak over you: ‘As we die, so die the righteous, and what benefit do they reap for their deeds?
18. Behold, even as we, so do they die in grief and darkness, and what have they more than we? From henceforth we are equal.
19. And what will they receive and what will they see for ever? Behold, they too have died, and henceforth for ever shall they see no light.’
20. I tell you, you sinners, you are content to eat and drink, and rob and sin, and strip men of their possessions, and acquire wealth and see good days.
21. Have you seen the righteous how their end falls out, that no manner of violence is found in them till their death?
22. Nevertheless they perished and became as though they had not been, and their spirits descended into Sheol in tribulation.”
Original Source: Manichaean/Holybook/ 'Enokh' Table of Contents - – Original Chapter Source: Chapter '36.'